The Pico Museum is located on Pico Island in the Azores. It integrates the Regional Network of Museums. The institution has a tripolar structure, comprising three extensions:
The Whaling Museum, in Lajes do Pico
Whaling Industry Museum, in São Roque do Pico
Wine Museum in Madalena.
Them presents collective memories associated with regional cycles – historical and mythical – whaling and wine industry on the island.
The Whaling Museum
Consisting of a set of three old houses of whaling boats century. XIX, the interesting Whaling Museum shows the importance of whaling activity on Pico Island. The Whaling tradition of the island dates back to the eighteenth century, when the Americans arrived that led to whale hunting, an activity that has come to be one of the main livelihoods of the island, along with the production of various products derived from cetaceans. Opened in 1988, the Whaling Museum, in conjunction with the Whaling Industry Museum, is unique in Europe, demonstrating the importance and difficulties of this activity for future generations, keeping such an important heritage preserved.
Whaling Industry Museum
Located in the old Society Whale Factory of “Frames Dinghies gathered Limited” built in 1942, the Whaling Industry Museum portrays the importance that the activity of Whaling printed on the Island. Whaling this tradition dates back to the eighteenth century, when the Americans arrived that led to whale hunting, an activity that has come to be one of the main livelihoods of São Roque do Pico and the Island itself, along with the production of various products derived from cetaceans .
The activity did not depend only hunting cetaceans, but many of the products they originated, such as oils and meals, which in this museum realized. The Factory Frames gathered operated from 1946 to 1984, housing since 2007 this museum with a rich estate which has two large boilers, oil tanks, furnaces, electric generators, a mill, among many other industrial structures required in such industries. A heritage and important for the island and the archipelago, which has shaped the lives of people for many years.
Museum opened in 1999, housed in the former convent of the Carmelites (XVII / XVIII), to expose the history of wine, organizing visits to vineyards and wine tasting. During the months of September allows the participation of visitors in harvest.